Monday, June 16, 2008

NAKED ANXIETY: Good Guys (and girls) Always Finish Last... When Will the Race Ever End??

So, it's been a while since N/A has had anything to say... BUT after my dear friend Nyx asked me a poignant question last week, I decided to dive further into it. So the question, Why do good guys and gal's finish last?? And more importantly when will the race ever end?? I decided to expound on that question and wonder, when did we ever agree to race in the first place. Now, I know this is funny coming from a gal who eats, breaths, and lives race competition, but in love??

I suppose always going or always racing is just part of the dating scene. In my mind, it's similar to shoe shopping. Example... I can spend an entire day going from store to store looking for a specific look and feel in a shoe. You know, does it feel good, fit right, is it the right shade of pink, is the heel the right height, is it the right price?? And after that long, exhausting day of trial and error and rejection I could go home with the perfect pair or not. The perfect pair are the timeless, classic Parada's you'll keep forever and will go with everything, but you could end up with something much less. Like a cheap knock off, that initially looks and feels good but won't last past this season. Finally, there is the ultimate rejection of wasting an entire day and going home with nothing at all.

Dating is much similar. After bar night, game night, poker night, speed dating, online dating and blind dates, you may have a keeper that feels good and looks good and will be along for a while. OR, you could end up with a cheap imitation that will only last the month, or worse yet, absolutely nothing at all.

So the race of dating... I'm a giver. Much like my friends Nyx, Aphrodite, and Nike. Us girls, who again I feel are smart, witty, kind, loving, sexy are the nice girls. We don't cheat, lie or use, but somehow we end up in completely dysfunctional relationships. We, the nice girls, are used and then dumped for what is typically a "less nice girl" then us and they end up with the diamond, and later husband and kids. Why?? Now, again this is not always about nice girls, but also nice guys. I have a friend Apollo... He's the typical nice guy. Doesn't cheat, would do ANYTHING for his love, attractive, smart and yet he too is single. AND to add to it, Apollo has horrible timing and ends up chasing his hearts desire with little results thus far.

I guess while contemplating this for the past week, I've come to this conclusion. We agreed to the race, or as we like to say in the world of Drag Racing, we pre-staged and later staged, in our quest for love. I suppose this race won't end though, until we find our fate. I suppose us "good" ones will continue to be last in the race of love, until we find the one. BUT then will we truly finish the race last or will we be the absolute victor??

Stripped down, exposed and real…
~N/A

No comments: